Story & images by Brianne Dela Cruz
At this year’s Winter Solstice gathering, we dined on a belly-filling dutch oven dinner, but the real star of the show was my Browned Butter Cranberry Cobbler. Which, we of course, spooned heaping servings of, into our bowls. Paired with a hot cup of dessert coffee, this after dinner indulgence warmed our fingers and toes just enough to stay outside as the darkness took over. While our bodies circled ‘round the glowing fire seeking warmth and light during the darkest night of the year, we found ourselves filled to the brim, with good food, inspiring conversation, and a positive outlook for the year ahead.
Browned Butter Cranberry Cobbler
Tangy cranberries and mandarin oranges topped with a soft cookie-like browned butter cornbread crust create an unbeatable winter dessert combination.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 55 min
3 Cups Fresh cranberries
1 Small Can Mandarin oranges; drained of juice
½ Cup Packed brown sugar
¼ Cup Chopped pecans (optional)
1 Cup Water
2 tsp Ground cinnamon
½ Cup Butter
¾ Cup Packed brown sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 Large egg
1 ½ Cups Cornbread mix
¼ tsp Salt
- In a large bowl, toss cranberries, sugar, oranges, pecans, water and cinnamon.
- Pour into greased dutch oven.
- Brown the butter in a skillet over the fire until deep golden brown. Then pour into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same large bowl, whisk browned butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Vigorously whisk in egg until smooth.
- Add cornbread mix and salt to liquid mixture, then fold in with a spatula until batter is smooth and thick.
- Scoop spoonfuls of batter over cranberry filling, then cover with dutch oven lid.
- Place hot coals around top of lid and under base of dutch oven.
- Bake cranberry cobbler at 350 degrees (about 14 coals) for 35-40 minutes.
- When topping is golden brown and cranberry filling is bubbling through, remove the coals and vent lid to cool.
- Serve with whipped cream and coffee if desired.
Brianne Dela Cruz is a Yoga & Meditation Teacher, Master Gardener, and Naturalist. Her blog ILLUME CO. is "A journal devoted to slow & sustainable living, connecting to nature, and travel - to being present and elevating the everyday mundane. It’s about exploring the planet and caring for Her. It’s about tending the earth and cultivating awareness. Most of all, it’s about finding the beauty within the imperfections, embracing each season of life, and allowing our inner light to shine bright."
Follow her at @illume.co
Read more from her blog at www.illumecoblog.com