Recipe by Alexa Norlin
When we wanted some new, sophisticated dessert recipes suitable for two, we knew exactly who to ask: Alexa Norlin, owner of Salt Lake City's wildly popular Normal Ice Cream, where flavors like salted vanilla bean, brown butter, and horchata are par for the course. She did not disappoint, providing us with options for every palate. Here, her recipe for Crustless Apple Pie gets an unconventional and delicious complement: Roasted Parsnip Ice Cream. Finish the dish with whipped mascarpone. All recipes below.
For the pie filling:
- 2 green apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ vanilla bean
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp + ½ tbsp unsalted butter
For the ice cream:
- 1 cups kosher salt
- 4 parsnips
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese
For the mascarpone:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup mascarpone
- Combine all ingredients in a small dutch oven.
- Top with streusel.
- Break up the remaining ½ tbsp butter and place on top of the streusel.
- Bake uncovered in the fire or a 375 F oven for 12 minutes. Add the lid and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place salt in bottom of a medium dutch oven. Place parsnips on top of salt, cover, and cook on the fire for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Remove parsnips from heat. Let rest until cool to the touch.
- Remove the ends and peel of parsnips and discard.
- Place parsnips in blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except for the cream cheese in a heavy-bottom pot.
- Cook on medium heat to 185 F (85 C). Remove from heat.
- Place two cups of the ice cream base in the blender, add cream cheese, and blend until completely smooth (be careful, liquid is very hot!). Add back into the remaining ice cream base.
- Cool base in an ice bath until cold.
- Let sit in fridge overnight.
- Once completely cooled, spin the base in your chosen ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Store in freezer in airtight container until ready to serve.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, sugar, and salt in bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whip with whisk attachment on medium speed until stiff peaks form. This will seem slow and you’ll want to increase to high speed, but don’t do it!
- Lightly fold in mascarpone.
To serve, scoop pie filling into bowl, and top with a scoop of Roasted Parsnip Ice Cream and a dollop of whipped mascarpone.
Want more recipes from Alexa? Try her Winter Citrus Posset with Rosemary Brown Butter Crumble or her Flourless Chocolate Tart with Pear Sorbet and Honeycomb Candy.