Recipe by Alexa Norlin
When we wanted some sophisticated new dessert recipes suitable for two, we knew exactly who to ask: Alexa Norlin, owner of Salt Lake City's wildly popular Normal Ice Cream. She did not disappoint, providing us with options for every palate. Start with this easy-to-make Winter Citrus Posset, a tangy and creamy indulgence. Add complexity with the Rosemary Brown Butter Crumble. Recipes below.
For the posset:
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- 1 zest of lemon
For the rosemary brown butter crumble:
- ½ lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk powder
- ½ tbsp rosemary (not chopped, whole needles)
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine sugar, salt, lemon zest, and heavy cream in a small cast iron skillet.
- Put cast iron skillet on the fire and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in grapefruit juice.
- Let cool completely until set.
- Place butter in cast iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat until it starts to turn light amber in color.
- Add milk powder, rosemary, and salt.
- Continuously mix, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the milk powder turns brown.
- Quickly remove from heat and pour onto heat-proof plate, let cool.
- Remove rosemary needles, serve on top of grapefruit posset.
Top the citrus posset with the brown butter crumble, a drizzle of olive oil, and Maldon salt before serving.
Want more recipes from Alexa? Try her Crustless Apple Pie with Roasted Parsnip Ice Cream or her Flourless Chocolate Torte with Pear Sorbet and Honeycomb Candy.