Recipe by Missy Workman
This recipe was first featured at the 2020 4xFAR festival in Coachella Valley, CA as part of a Barebones open-fire cooking demonstration. We aim to alleviate the intimidation of cooking over the fire with cast iron and to demonstrate approachable meals that’ll take your outdoor cooking to the next level. This recipe is versatile and elevates any meal it is added too.
2 lbs Flank Steak
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
½ Cup Cilantro
½ Cup Orange Juice
¼ Cup Lime Juice
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using an airtight container, large enough to hold the meat, add the dry ingredients to the meat and coat evenly.
- In a measuring cup, add the liquids and stir.
- Dice the jalapeño and rough chop the cilantro then add to the measuring cup to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the meat and store from 6-12 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill and place the seasoned meat on the grill cooking 3 minutes per side or until light pink in the middle.
Perfect for street tacos, on salads, or accompanied with sides of your choice. Enjoy!
Our in-house chef, Missy Workman, is an expert in open-fire cooking. Missy has hosted events for clients such as REI and other predominant people in the outdoor industry.