Guest post by Ashley Rodriguez, Not Without Salt
Adapted from Let’s Stay In
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 strips / 4 1/2 ounces bacon, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large onion, diced about 3 cups/ 450 g
- 1/2 large fennel bulb diced, about 1 cup/ 125 g
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups /175 g roughly chopped chanterelles
- 1/2 cup /115 ml wheat beer or white wine
- 3 cups / 720 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 medium yellow potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes about 2 cups / 230 g cubed
- 1 cup / 175 g corn kernels(fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup / 175 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus more for serving
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Set the stand of the All-in-One Cast Iron Grill directly over the fire. Set the wok base on top. Cook the bacon until the fat renders and it just starts to crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the onion, fennel, and garlic with a 1/2 teaspoon salt then saute for an additional 7 minutes until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the thyme and chanterelles. Saute until just starting to caramelize, 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze with the beer or wine, scraping up the browned bits off the bottom.
4. Add the stock and potatoes, cover with the lid, then bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Add the corn and cream then return to simmer then cook just until the corn is tender.
6. Stir in dill, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and pepper. Finish with lemon juice then taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Note: For a thicker chowder stir in 2 1/2 teaspoons flour before you add the beer or wine. Cook the flour for 1 minute so the finished soup doesn’t have a raw flour taste. Slowly whisk in the beer or wine then proceed as written.