Guest post by Christiann Koepke
This is an effortless, one pan appetizer that will leave your guests raving. Prepare and serve right in your cast iron skillet. Feel free to leave your sweet potatoes whole if they’re small in size, or cut into large, equal sized chunks. If you’re looking for a dairy-free version, substitute the butter for coconut oil (or ghee if you’re lenient) and replace the feta with toasted, sliced almonds. Vegan? Follow the dairy free version and substitute pure maple syrup for honey.
Serves 8 as a side
- 2 lbs purple sweet potatoes (or any other variety)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped lightly (various sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons fresh feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 - 4 tablespoons honey, slightly warmed to pour
1.Warm your Barebones cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add nuts and dry toast for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
2. Remove nuts from pan. Set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Back at stove, increase heat to medium high in same skillet. Add butter and sea salt. Melt.
5. Add sweet potatoes (cubed or whole) to pan and toss quickly to coat. Cook, continuing to toss once or twice, until squash is lightly browned at least on one side, 8 -10 minutes.
6. Place skillet directly from stovetop to oven and roast until squash is crispy and firm yet soft on the inside, about 20 -25 minutes.
7. Remove from oven.
8. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts, feta and drizzle with honey to lightly coat. Enjoy warm.
Photo courtesy of Christiann Koepke