By Brianne Dela Cruz; Illume Co.
In search of meadows, snow-capped peaks, and an escape from the daily grind, we hopped in the car and high-tailed it out of the city.
These days it seems that rough sleeping under the stars, dirty feet from dusty trails, and messy hair from days spent camping is the most luxurious form of therapy that exists.
And so we drove with a trunk full of gear until our hearts began to ease and our eyes swept over landscapes that soothed our pent-up souls. We set up a basecamp where pronghorns graze on the phlox dotted range and the sun lingers long on the horizon. And it is here, where we found ourselves, gathering around the fire, nourishing ourselves at the hand of nature’s ever-sustaining bounty, and leaning into one another in hopes of remembering all that is wonderful and magic in the world. And on this trip, we rediscovered freedom and the beauty of simple sustenance.
This modern twist on a classic All-American bbq sandwich is the perfect quick-and-easy meal to make at any camp. The king oyster mushrooms doused in your favorite vegan BBQ sauce provides more than enough savory “meat” to sink your teeth into. Paired with creamy crunchy slaw and tangy red onions on a toasted brioche bun, this pulled “pork” sandwich cooked on the All-In-One Cast Iron Grill elevates the everyday BBQ meal while reducing time, effort, and camp kitchen clean up. It surely hits the spot between a long day outside and a night under the stars.
Vegan BBQ Pulled "Pork" Sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 35 min
BBQ Pulled "Pork" Sandwiches
- 6 King Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 ½ cup Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 6 Brioche Buns
- ¼ cup Kale, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Leaf Lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup Green Cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup Red Cabbage, chopped
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- Vegan ColeSlaw Dressing
- 1 Jar Pickled Red Onion
- Heat All-In-One Grill wok directly over fire. Or, heat wok by placing 20 heated charcoals on the lower rack and containing heat with aluminum shields.
- Shred oyster mushrooms with two forks while the grill is preheating.
- Toss mushrooms, garlic, oil, spices, and ½ cup of BBQ sauce in a bowl until fully coated.
- Transfer mushrooms to the heated and oiled All-In-One Grill wok. Cover with lid and cook until mushrooms reduce and become tender; about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop and toss slaw ingredients with coleslaw dressing in a bowl.
- Add remaining BBQ sauce to mushrooms to reach your desired amount of sauce; about 1 cup. Leave the lid off the grill and place the grate over the top of the wok.
- Toast the buns for 2-3 minutes on each side while mushrooms cook in the bubbling BBQ sauce.
- Remove mushrooms and toasted buns from heat, and dress the pulled “pork” sandwich to your liking with slaw, pickled red onions, and veganaise spread on the toasted bun.
Brianne Dela Cruz is a Yoga & Meditation Teacher, Master Gardener, and Naturalist. Her blog ILLUME CO. is "A journal devoted to slow & sustainable living, connecting to nature, and travel - to being present and elevating the everyday mundane. It’s about exploring the planet and caring for Her. It’s about tending the earth and cultivating awareness. Most of all, it’s about finding the beauty within the imperfections, embracing each season of life, and allowing our inner light to shine bright."
Follow her at @illume.co
Read more from her blog at www.illumecoblog.com