Photos and Recipe By Andy Berndt; Mister Berndt Photography
I'm always on the hunt for a cocktail that transports
you to a time or place you remember fondly.
This is that cocktail.
Grapefruit always feels like summer to me. I could (and do!) drink it all season long. I also love everything smokey. This is a perfect marriage of the two.
Margaritas shouldn’t be too sugary-sweet. The Aperol in this margarita recipe gives the slight bitterness I'm looking for, while the char on the grapefruit imparts that additional smokey sweetness.
My friends and I made this cocktail after we floated down the Mississippi river near St. Paul Minnesota, and found an island that looked like it would fit us. It brings me back to that night: filled with friends and laughter around a campfire on a river island.
◌ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴠᴇʀʏ ʜᴜᴍʙʟᴇ ᴏᴘɪɴɪᴏɴ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ ᴍᴀʀɢ ◌
Charred Grapefruit Margarita
Serving: 2 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 15 min
- 4 shots white Tequila
- 2 shots Aperol
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 charred grapefruits
- Kosher salt for glass rimming
- Cut 2 grapefruits in half. Coat the open face of the grapefruits with brown sugar and place face down on grill. Char over fire until edges brown - about 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the grapefruit to char, rim 2 glasses with kosher salt.
- Fill a quart size mason jar or cocktail shaker with ice.
- Squeeze limes and grapefruit into the jar, add Aperol and Tequila, shake until chilled.
- Serve and enjoy.
Andy Berndt is a photographer living in St. Paul Minnesota. Never far from the water. Always planning the next adventure.