Recipe by Ashley Rodriguez ~ a James Beard Award nominee
As the weather's cooling off and the first snow is beginning to fall, there's nothing better than soup to warm the soul. Especially soup with a kick.
To make this simple soup on the campsite, bring a container of chopped vegetables along with your dutch oven to minimize prep and maximize relaxation.
This flavorful soup gets a boost from the smokey flavor graciously given by the fire. The puckering lime juice swirled in at the end is what sets this warming meal over the top.
Recipe and Photos by: Not Without Salt
Sopa de Lima
Yields 6-8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (about 5 roma tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno, halved and seeded (feel free to add more if you like more heat)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup), divided
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For serving: diced avocado, cilantro, toasted pepitas, crumbled tortilla chips
- Add olive oil to a hot 10-inch crock or dutch oven over coals. Set on a grill rack for more stability.
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will slump and give off juice as the jalapeno, onion, and garlic soften and char.
- Add the chicken and sauté briefly before stirring in the chicken stock, thyme, oregano, and 1 tsp of salt. Scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan and bring everything to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Carefully shred or break-up the chicken.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Garnish the pot of soup with chopped onion, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, and lime juice.