By Kodiak Cakes
We've partnered with Kodiak Cakes to bring you two recipes to cook in your Barebones Dutch oven. Looking for a mouth-watering dinner for a group? This easy to make Dutch oven pot pie recipe comes together in just an hour and promises to keep guests satiated.
Dutch Oven Pot Pie
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Total Time: 60 min
- 1 1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups (about 1 russet potato), chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Whisk the Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub it into the dry mixture using your hands or a pastry cutter, until crumbly.
- Stir in the milk until a dough is formed.
- Roll the biscuit dough out onto a floured surface until 1/2-inch thick. Fold the dough over itself, turn 90°. Repeat the rolling and folding process 3 times.
- Roll the dough once more and cut into medium circles using a round cutter or a drinking glass.
- Place the cut biscuits on a pan or plate in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over a gas burning stove set to medium heat. *See note below.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir in for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk and chicken broth, stirring in 1/2 cup at a time and bringing to a simmer after each addition. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen peas, frozen corn, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange biscuits on top of the filling and brush with melted butter or milk.
- Place the Dutch oven on a sheet pan and into the oven to bake without the lid for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Serve immediately.
*If you do not have a gas stove, use a separate large pot over the stove. Then, transfer to the Dutch oven when it is time to bake the pot pie.
Check out more from Kodiak Cakes + Barebones
Try the Dutch Oven Bread Pudding recipe ➛
Kodiak Cakes began in 1982 when Penny Clark sent her 8-year-old son into the neighborhood with a red wagon full of paper bags that were filled with her father’s heirloom flapjack mix and simple instructions written on the bags. He returned with an empty wagon and lifelong plans.
Over the years the company has expanded to sell all kinds of hearty and nutritious goods based on simple ingredients like whole grains and added protein. Their mission is simple: to inspire healthier eating and active living with nourishment for today's frontier.
Kodiak is dedicated to encouraging healthy ecosystems, be it in your kitchen or wherever the frontier still thrives. They annually donate a portion of their profits to conservation efforts, including to organizations that work to preserve native bear habitat.